Re: laptop protection in an office network

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:42:08 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> To get back to the reason I started this thread, my goal is to be able to
> go into a foreign network (most likely all-Windows, but there always is
> the possibility that someone is running a Macintosh) and come back home
> "disease-free".

You could always get a Raspberry-Pi B ( _NOT_ the 2 recent release) ! ) and install on this the IpFire dedicated firewall distribution; depending on whether you connect by Wifi or Ethernet to the office LAN, you will need a USB Wifi interface, or a USB-to-RJ45 adapter. Just make sure those dont need an unobtainable driver to run under Linux  ;-3)

Not very bulky, can be run off the laptop USB, easy to configure, and should keep you reasonably safe from the nasties who lurk in the outside darkness....

Cheers,

Ron.

PS http://www.ipfire.org/
--