Re: laptop protection in an office network

On Sat, August 29, 2015 2:01 pm, Brian wrote:
> There is much value in mDNS in an office network with CUPS nowadays.

Simply out of custom and the influence of the guru who helped me get
started in Debian, I use static ip addresses for everything (including the
printer) in my LAN, except the laptop.  And I routinely connect the laptop
with ethernet, rather than via WiFi.

And every time I install or reinstall Debian on a machine, one of the
first things I do is configure CUPS to use the laser as the default
printer for the machine.  In view of the fact that the configuration of
CUPS takes only two or three minutes, I do not enable sharing of the
printer.  And all my printing is done locally, on the laser printer.

So I do not understand how avahi or mDNS could benefit me with this tiny
personal LAN.  If it is something which I should be using, please
enlighten me.

RLH