Re: ask.debian.net

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 02:57:25PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 28 Aug 2015 at 08:34:18 -0400, Lev Lazinskiy wrote:

> > > Out of interest, what is wrong with the mailing list and the forum?
> >
> > I personally have no problem with the mailing lists or forums. I think
> > some people (especially new comers) can get lost in mailing lists. Also
> > both mailing lists and forums are harder to search for actual answers to
> > questions.
> >
> > I think a proper Q&A platform (i.e. not Shapado) solves a couple of
> > these problems.
> >
> > 1. It is very approachable to anyone since a lot of people have already
> > used Stack Overflow.
> >
> > 2. It has better search tools.
> >
> > 3. Actual Answers float to the top (instead of having to read through en
> > endless stream of threads or forum pages). This is great and provides an
> > added value of creating a sort of mini knowledge base.
> >
> > Mailing lists and forums are great for when you have a specific
> > question. I think the Q&A format is better when you are randomly
> > searching for hints since it exposes potential answers and makes them
> > easier to find.
>
> A worthy objective but I wonder whether the amount of work would result
> in a more useful site with more eyes. The views of two users are at
>
>   http://ask.debian.net/questions/this-website-ask-debian-net-is-abandoned
I read this posting and it made me sad. It is pretty much what inspired
me to do this in the first place. I think we can do a better job.

I tried to participate in ask.debian.net but Shapado is unbearable. For
instance every time I responded it would duplicate the response (some UI
bug). I think shapado had some good intentions but like many projects
simply dissapeared from the world.

> You might have a useful response to your plans by using the admin
> contact given at
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianNetDomains

Thanks for this link, I think this is what I was looking for!