Re: new laptop: DVD or Blu-ray

On Thursday 27 August 2015 06:25:52 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Thursday 27 August 2015 10:44:20 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > I am curious to learn more about the Sony-CD incident.
>
> I googled it.
>
> So sorry, Gene, but Thomas's instincts are right in this case.  The
> player was "bricked" only in so far as the root-kit sometimes
> prevented access.
>
> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sony-CD+incident&oq=Sony-CD+incident
>&aqs=chrome..69i57.1102j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
>
> Lisi

Sorry Lisi. If that was the case, why did so many folks have to replace
the drive with a new one which worked just fine, and the old one did NOT
work in any machine it was connected to?

I've got at least 3 of those given to me by neighbors running winderz.  I
use them for a project parts warehouse.  One of the drive tray drives is
in the process of being converted to swing a locating bar on a furniture
carving jig in and out of the way of the cutting tools. My problem is
getting it adequately shielded from the wood dust and chips, which would
foul the mechanism.  But it WILL get done. I just have to make an
appropriately sized box with only 2 tight fitting holes in it, one for
the control cable, and one for the flexible shaft that reaches from the
end of the table over the the jigs movable piece.  That may be another
two weeks as my lathe burned up a drive part (darned plastic) and I need
that working with the plastic pulley long enough to make a new jackshaft
with a 10mm nose to carry an all metal version of the plastic part but
using the 200% stronger XL belt.  Chicken v egg IOW.  In the meantime a
kilobucks worth of good Mahogany will be here by the end of the month
that I am not ready to use yet, OR have inside storage room for.  I need
to take some of my midden heap to the landfill just to make room for the
incoming wood.  Even my "woodshed" is full.  That needs a cleanout too.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)