Re: new laptop: DVD or Blu-ray

Hi,

ken wrote:
> I mean, it's possible
> for either or both to have malicious code in their firmware. But is either
> *known* to?

Well, as you can see from my posts i fiercely deny to have
such knowledge of malicious code on the level of the drive
firmware.
(I can be convinced, though, if good evidence is presented.)

> it's rather remarkable that the Sony malware/rootkit was discovered
> at all.

I don't think so. It's a clumsy boss idea to spread 20 million
copies of a root kit on non-erasable discs and to hope to
get away with it. Especially if the vice boss announces the
breach of law 5 years in advance:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal#Background
  "We will firewall it at your PC..."

The distribution method is artless and widely warned of.
I dimly remember that this feature can be disabled on
MS-Windows.
( $DOING_IT_LIKE_LISI : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun )

Have a nice day :)

Thomas