Re: Anyone else having password failures at pop.gmail.com?

I lost track of this thread somehow. Sorry.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Frédéric Marchal
<frederic.marchal@wowtechnology.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 August 2015 07:53:33 Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:22 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > They apparently did something just before 15:00 local time (GMT-4=EDT
>> > today, as both mailfilter and fetchmail are now reporting a password
>> > authorization failure.
>> >
>> > Thats two separate config files, neither of which has been into an editor
>> > to even change the size of the top dot of an i in about 2 years.
>> >
>> > So, is it me, or has gmail changed the protocol somehow?
>>
>> Any chance it's the old problem with Google's chain to a root CA?
>
> Could you elaborate on this problem?

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/04/google-let-root-certificate-for-gmail-expire-causing-e-mail-hiccups/

may or may not be what I was remembering about the CA.

> Kmail just popped a warning this morning about an invalid google certificate.
> Kmail claims that "the root certificate is not valid for that purpose"
> (whatever that means)…
>
> I would like to know how to make sure whether it is safe to accept the
> certificate or not.
>
> My employer's gateway may be providing a fake certificate to monitor the SSL
> communication but I don't know how to tell if the certificate was rewritten by
> the legitimate gateway or by a rogue third party or if google messed up.

Do you know how to manually verify a certificate?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html