Re: Adapter Names on Stretch

On Wednesday 26 August 2015 13:16:41 Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:01:07 -0400
>
> Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > I've just done a fresh minimal install of Debian Stretch, and noticed
> > > something odd. In ifconfig and iwconfig, all of my adapters have weird
> > > names, like "ens2" instead of "eth0".
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me why this is?
> >
> > Yes
> > https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterf
> > aceNames/ can.
> >
> > > I tried to look it up online but
> > > couldn't find anyone else with the same issue. This is my first time
> > > running a Debian testing, is this a normal thing that occurs before a
> > > full release, or is this just a bug/misconfiguration on my end?
> >
> > Yes it is normal. Happened with disk names and UUIDs before.
> > Lots of transitions in actively developed software.
>
> A thought: Why not make those changes available to those who want or need
> them, and leave the great majority, who neither need nor want them, to
> continue as before ?
>
> Or has it been decided on high that Debian Linux is no longer about users
> having the freedom to choose ?
>
> Of course the only freedom remains and cannot be taken away, to drop Debian,
> and move to another distribution...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.
Hi Ron et all:

I can't answer the question "why not?" because 'if one is not at the helm, one
must not try to steer". But I'd say that in this case the change of an
interface name from one release to the other is at worst a slight
inconvenience which I easily accept for the better big picture of predictable
interface names. There are other approaches towards the same goal - have a
look over here --> OpenBSD - no systemd, predictable interface names.
A mention in the change-logs and/or mentioning the change on usenet
linux.debian.news should suffice. [anyone still using usenet?]
Naming interfaces according to the place of the hardware on the bus are
debateable - especially for the technically unaware "normal" user who did
never set up her/his own hardware, but the developers have to decide which
naming convention to follow. I guess that offering several contradictory naming
conventions within one distribution is more hassle than the result would
justify.
Discussion is explained in above mentioned document.

Have a nice day
Eike