Re: Adapter Names on Stretch

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:01:07 -0400
Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net> wrote:

> > I've just done a fresh minimal install of Debian Stretch, and noticed
> > something odd. In ifconfig and iwconfig, all of my adapters have weird
> > names, like "ens2" instead of "eth0".
> >
> > Can anyone tell me why this is?
> Yes
> https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
> can.
> > I tried to look it up online but
> > couldn't find anyone else with the same issue. This is my first time
> > running a Debian testing, is this a normal thing that occurs before a
> > full release, or is this just a bug/misconfiguration on my end?
> Yes it is normal. Happened with disk names and UUIDs before.
> Lots of transitions in actively developed software.

A thought: Why not make those changes available to those who want or need them, and leave the great majority, who neither need nor want them, to continue as before ?

Or has it been decided on high that Debian Linux is no longer about users having the freedom to choose ?

Of course the only freedom remains and cannot be taken away, to drop Debian, and move to another distribution...

Cheers,

Ron.
--
    Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong.
            I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun