Re: Wheezy amd64 grub2 error: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found

On Wed, 8/26/15, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

// Didn't you install a more recent version of GRUB (possibly from a new
// installation) at some time on that disk ?

That could be it. The drive originally had a working wheezy installation that booted
properly and worked just fine. I then decided to upgrade this working wheezy installation
to testing/stretch, just to see how it would go. It did not go too well, so I decided to revert
back to wheezy by restoring the data from my backup drive. The /boot partition was restored
by dd-ing the data from /boot partition of the working backup drive (/dev/sda1):

   # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 conv=sync,noerror

// Can you see the GRUB version which boots ?

When booting, GRUB immediately drops me into the "grub rescue" mode. I did not see any
version number nor I found any way to check the version number from "grub rescue" mode.

Thanks