Re: Burn problems.

On 08/22/2015 01:56 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

  I guess you're more
interested in the failures than in the successes. Heh.

Current stage of the procedure is to collect info.
Success is as welcome as failure.
If you can fulfill all your needs by xorriso runs, then
i will be glad.

Nevertheless i would not believe that xorriso is good
and the others are bad. Rather, if you would still be
interested in improving GNU/Linux, i would then try
to find out whether the others got misoperated.
They might as well be unlucky to hit a drive problem
by the particular options used.

Maybe we even find a bug that can be fixed. It's
not impossible. See

I will see if I can try tonight or tomorrow. If I make the attempt, I'll let you know the outcome.

I'll do that if I can get some DVD+RW discs on hand.
I really need this to succeed more than I need useful test results.

Tell me what you want to achieve and i will make proposals
how it can be attempted while gathering info.
You may mail to me in private, if you want.

Very kind of you.

Currently i know that you try to put readily prepared
images on DVD. Throw in any DVD that's at hand and try.

If it succeeds: fine. Report media type and image size.
If it fails, your best option is to show me the messages.
Then i can tell more and maybe propose what to buy next.
If money can solve the problem, that is.

I'd get one or two USB sticks, too. Put a fileystem on them
and store copies of the images there. Later, when the burn
problems are solved, you will find other use for them.

Yes, I got USB flash drives immediately when this started happening. I rotate them so that I have at least 5 weeks' worth of backups at all times. I keep trying with optical discs because I want "permanent" copies of the status at the end of each week for the types of data my wife and I keep.

So I thought I had more or less ruled out hardware as
the problem.

The more reason that we finally find the reason for the
curse that hit you.

I can confirm that burning is possible, altough it does
impose more adventure than e.g. writing to hard disk.

On the other hand hardly anybody zapped the system disk
while trying to burn a DVD. With setting up an USB stick
this can happen quite easily. Be cautious when formatting
the filesystem.

I'm always aware of which drive / partition is which. If any doubt exists I check sizes, labels, UUIDs.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

I will try to get back with data if I'm able to attempt some backups. Many, many thanks for your consideration.

Jape