Re: cons25 Terminal is Almost but not Quite Right for a Job.

> What terminal are you using? Are you using an actual vt100 terminal, a
> vt(NNN) terminal (e.g. a vt200 or vt400 or similar), the linux virtual
> console, a terminal emulator (such as xterm, gnome-terminal etc)?
>
> Ideally, TERM should be set to the name of the actual terminal equipment
> you're using, which will then give the input/output systems (mostly
> ncurses) the best idea of how to translate the programmer's wishes onto
> your display.

	I believe that that was the problem. Thank you. I have
had a line in .bash_profile as well as .screenrc that set the
terminal to vt100. That was left over from before I retired last
March. At work, I was logging in to both Linux and FreeBSD boxes
all day long and I seem to recall that the BSD-based boxes were
happier when I identified as a vt100 terminal. The Linux terminal
appears to mostly speak the same escape codes as the vtXXX
terminals.
	After changing to a linux terminal, the stray escapes
went away when I set $TERM to cons25.

	I now must go through .screenrc to make sure that the
terminal is set to Linux or at least make sure it inherits that
from the environment when it is called.

Martin