Re: cons25 Terminal is Almost but not Quite Right for a Job.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 09:50:36AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I normally use vt100 when in command-line mode but I
> needed a different terminal for dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.
> The garbage I get is what one usually receives when the
> application is expecting to see a cons25 terminal so that is what
> I set $TERM to as in:
>
> export TERM="cons25"
>
> It works much better but there are still lots of raw escape
> sequences that pop up when the next screen is about to display so
> my question is whether there is a better choice of terminal
> keeping in mind that this is the command line.
>
> 	At least with cons25, the arrows seem to work and the
> cursor ends up in the right place.
>
> 	On a scale of 1-10, this problem is maybe a 3, not a show
> stopper but a bit annoying and usually indicates there are other
> things that may not work right.

What terminal are you using? Are you using an actual vt100 terminal, a
vt(NNN) terminal (e.g. a vt200 or vt400 or similar), the linux virtual
console, a terminal emulator (such as xterm, gnome-terminal etc)?

Ideally, TERM should be set to the name of the actual terminal equipment
you're using, which will then give the input/output systems (mostly
ncurses) the best idea of how to translate the programmer's wishes onto
your display.

If, however, you're using a vt100 and TERM is set to vt100 and you're
experiencing issues, then perhaps a bug can be raised.

--
For more information, please reread.