Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Quoting Thomas Schmitt (scdbackup@gmx.net):
> David Wright wrote:
> > Why would I want a character that doesn't behave as a space to be
> > displayed as a normal space?
>
> That's the question about the use case.
> I don't have one. So i made Alt+Spacebar behave like Spacebar.

That's what I'm attempting to do in the VC, reported in the other thread.
My first attempt (through /etc/default/keyboard, the Right Place) failed.

> But the typographical purpose of NO-BREAK SPACE is to look
> like space without inviting an automatic line break.
> So making it look not like space would be absurd.

But shell input is not a typographical context. Most source code
isn't, except in literals. Documents generally are because they are
displayed/printed.

> > It seems a recipe for confusion at best,
> > and for exploits at worst.
>
> It's name should be Spoof Space. On an UTF-8 terminal it
> travels with Copy+Paste and survives in bash history.
>
> Imagine my initial panic when my few weeks old Debian told me
> that there is no '..' in an ext4 directory.

This is my beef. But I moved to another thread because I don't want
X's involvement, except in as much as it shares configuration files
like /etc/default/keyboard.

And I'm trying to work it through from source to sink,
ie from keyboard to application.

Cheers,
David.