Re: Virtual noobie

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 00:58:58 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > My experience of virtualization has been with Vmware "player"
> > > running on Windows. This is, for me, rather neat since I can
> > > easily create instances of *bsd flavors from the relevant
> > > install iso's.
> > > I need advice on how to do this on Jessie. What Debian
> > > virtualization packages do people like? I guess I should say I
> > > am looking for a host package that runs on linux, and supports
> > > *bsd guests.
> > > All suggestions will receive fair and impartial consideration!

> > VirtualBox.  It's easy, and installs and runs like an app.  However, I
> > don't use the version in the Debian repo.  I download directly from the
> > VirtualBox web site, and have its installer set everything up, etc.
> > Be sure to read, study and follow the instructions.

> I too use VirtualBox and concur in recommending using the upstream version.

The people at Virtualbox also warn you against using the binaries from distributions, but to get them from their own site.

This said, I have been playing with it in recent days, mainly to get MS Windows without dual-boot; installed XP, 7, and updated to 10 no problem (need Windows for a couple progs to connect to some esoteric GPS, cameras and phones).

I also installed PCLinuxOS, to check it has and does all what I need, so I will know if I can rely on it on the day when I decide to leave Debian rather than abandon Gnu-Linux and shift to Systemd-Linux.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                       No matter how subtle the wizard,