Re: should I get rid of pulse audio ?

On 08/17/2015 02:10 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 01:37:37PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

[...]

so soliciting opinions on whether or not getting rid of pulse audio is a good idea.
Be warned that this has been a long standing hot-button issue. You might
get very strong opinions in both directions (or you might get just very
few, because people are wary of protracted flame wars).

Better try more concrete questions: how to achieve X with pulseaudio. Or
what are your choices besides pulseaudio.

regards
- -- tomás

I have p/a on pclos, and in the past I have had to disable it, but the latest version seems to work. The commands in the gui's are a bit tricky--some don't seem to work sometimes--perhaps they depend on some other command. You just have to play with it to some extent. The main gain I see over alsa is the ability to direct audio out to two channels--a built-in sound chip on the mobo and the HDMI output (which includes audio) from a GeForce video card. that way you can set up a Youtube or or other media source on your local display, and pipe it to your TV at the same
time.
BTW: if you're going to watch a long video, you may want to get a mouse jiggler, so the picture
doesn't go away after a few minutes.

--doug