Re: pulseaudio module to mute other sources?

doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> writes:

> On 08/12/2015 10:46 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>> I'm reasonably confident there must be a better place to post this than
>> this newsgroup, so answers telling me where to look will be just as
>> welcome as any that address the question!  I'm a Debian user, so this is
>> where I'm trying first....
>>
>> Is there a pulseaudio module that will detect when an audio source isn't
>> silent, and mute other sources in that cases?
>>
>> It may be more clear if I describe my particular desire use case.  I
>> have a ham radio, whose audio output I can plug into my sound card
>> input.  I'd like to be listening to music, but when a call comes in on
>> the radio have it mute any other audio.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I suspect that your ham radio is VHF--2 meters, or possibly 440MHz,
> since you say "when a call comes in."

Yes, it's a 2m/70cm HT (a cheap Baofeng, I confess).

> Therefore, the radio certainly has a squelch circuit. As a ham, you
> should be familiar enough with electronics
> to find a voltage in the radio that switches level when the squelch is
> activated or deactivated. You can
> buffer this voltage with a transistor or a digital comparator, and use
> it to control the music via a relay.
>
> Hint: squelch circuits usually (but not always) are controlled by the AGC.

Well, yes...  the squelch is actually software-controlled in the radio,
but there is a line I could use to detect when it comes off.

I guess I wasn't clear enough about the environment:  I want to route
the audio out from the HT through my computer, and I'm listening to
music on that same computer.  An all-software solution is certainly
possible; the question is whether it exists already.