Re: pulseaudio module to mute other sources?

rlharris@oplink.net writes:

> On Wed, August 12, 2015 9:46 pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Is there a pulseaudio module that will detect when an audio source isn't
>> silent, and mute other sources in that cases?
>
> It does not directly address your need, but I think that
> pulseaudiovolumecontrol (pavucontrol) is almost essential, and really
> should be installed by default with the pulseaudio system.

Yep, I've pretty much always got that window up!

>> I'd like to be listening to music, but when a call comes in on
>> the radio have it mute any other audio.
>
> In the realm of broadcasting and commercial sound, the function you are
> describing is of the general category "ducking" (as in "duck your head so
> you do not bump it on the obstruction ahead").  But ducking typically
> reduces the level of the primary audio stream, rather than completely
> muting it.
>
> You may find an inexpensive hardware solution; check broadcast suppliers
> such as Markertek, bswUSA, and FullCompass.
>
> Because "dead air" is anathema to a broadcaster, there are silence
> monitors which automatically switch to an alternate audio source if the
> primary source goes silent.  One of these might serve your needs.
>
> Utility modules of this sort for audio are widely used and tend to be
> surprisingly inexpensive.

Something like the
http://www.markertek.com/product/st-vp2/rdl-st-vp2-automatic-ducking-module
seems like it might meet my needs... it seems like this ought to be the
sort of thing that pulseaudio can do with software, though.