Re: Debian Gnome Or XFCE ?

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:29:38 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:07:47 -0400 (EDT), Dwijesh Gajadur wrote:
> >
> > Hello Debian users ??
> >
> > I am currently a Debian Jessie XFCE user.
> > I want to have your views on Gnome VS XFCE.
> > I want to try Gnome but I want to know if Gnome is stable and works
> > constantly without freezing and crashing.
> > Please share me your experience with Debian Gnome.
>
> I used to use GNOME (GNOME 2) because it was the default desktop in
> Debian at that time, but I switched to XFCE when GNOME "upgraded"
> from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3.  Not only is the GNOME 3 interface very
> different from GNOME 2, but on a number of my machines, GNOME 3
> didn't even work.  GNOME 3 requires 3D graphics acceleration features
> in the X driver, and not all video chipsets support 3D graphics
> acceleration.  Even for chipsets that do support 3D graphics
> acceleration, there may not be an X driver which exploits the chip's
> 3D graphics acceleration capabilities, or the driver may not be
> installed because it is buggy or has security vulnerabilities. The
> machine I am using to compose this e-mail falls into that category.
> There is a 3D graphics acceleration driver for my chipset, but it is
> not installed for reasons of reliability and security.
>
> I switched to XFCE because it doesn't require 3D graphics
> acceleration, and I've been happy with it.  Furthermore, it is
> designed to run applications written for the GNOME environment.  The
> interface is similar to the GNOME 2 interface, which I am familiar
> with.  I'll probably stick with XFCE until there is a compelling
> reason to change.  That's my two cents worth.  Take it with however
> many grains of salt you think it's worth.

It's worth emphasising to new users that Gnome and KDE applications can
generally be used without running either desktop environment (unless
they are very specific to the desktop) and in most cases, without much
of the desktop environment being installed. I like Nautilus and K3B but
use them both on an Xfce desktop.

The necessary libraries must be installed, increasing the disc space
used, but most mechanical drives aren't short of space.

--
Joe