Re: Debian Gnome Or XFCE ?

On Wed, August 12, 2015 4:29 pm, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:07:47 -0400 (EDT), Dwijesh Gajadur wrote:
> I switched to XFCE because it doesn't require 3D graphics acceleration,
> and I've been happy with it.  Furthermore, it is designed to run
> applications written for the GNOME environment.  The interface is similar
> to the GNOME 2 interface, which I am familiar with.  I'll probably stick
> with XFCE until there is a compelling reason to change.

Familiarity breeds content (as in contentment).  I started with Debian
fifteen years ago, and have used a variety of desktops and window
managers.

Most recently, when I migrated from Squeeze (old-stable) to Jessie
(testing) for daily work, I installed Wheezy (stable) on the machine I
use for approx and for the weekly jigdo download of testing.  I did
not wish to spend time configuring xfce, so I chose the default gnome
desktop.  Stability never was an issue for that machine (amd64).  But
I generally accessed the machine via ssh, and then used screen.

Now and then I sat at the machine and tried the gnome user interface,
but I found the new gnome uncomfortable and inefficient.  I need
always-visible icons on panels, not a gauntlet of menus.  In computing
the challenge ought be to devise a good ways to utilize a set of tools
to solve problems.  But gnome-sans-panels is like a chest with many
drawers, the primary challenge being to find the drawer which holds
the particular tool needed.

So, as soon as Jessie became stable, I installed Jessie on the
machine; I chose the xfce desktop, and never considered installing
gnome.  For my needs, xfce provides everthing which gnome provided, and
more (except for the pair of "eyes", which I greatly miss).

But as a matter of curiosity, has the gnome on Jessie changed
significantly from new gnome on Wheezy?  I suppose one can get used to
almost anything; after all, I remember the single-button mouse of the
Macintosh.

RLH