Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Quoting Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.net):
> On 2015-08-10 13:02:07 +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > On my Debian/unstable machine, Alt-space gives a normal space in
> > > xterm. There must be something else in the user's config.
> >
> > Do you have any "Translation" among the xterm resources ?
> >
> >   appres XTerm | fgrep ransl
>
> Well, it seems that there's some confusion. By "Alt", I meant the
> ISO_Level3_Shift key, which is bound to the physical Alt and AltGr
> keys in my keyboard configuration. This is the typical key to get
> alternate characters. I have some translations, but whether I use
> them or not, I get the same result with this modifier: a normal
> space.
>
> Now, there's the Meta key (mod1, bound to the physical Windows key in
> my keyboard configuration), often called Alt in other applications,
> which gives the Escape character because I've set eightBitInput to
> false. Without this setting, I get ISO-8859-1 characters (translated
> into UTF-8): the ASCII character with the 8th bit set. For space,
> 0x20 is changed to 0x80|0x20 = 0xA0, which is the NO-BREAK SPACE in
> ISO-8859-1. IMHO, eightBitInput = true (the default) does not make
> much sense.

It's very simple really. Like the pound in your pocket, the space bar
has been steadily shrinking over the years. On a laptop, you're lucky
if the space bar starts before you get to the 'F' key; mine is just
five keys long.

Now tap away on the space bar, preferably with your left thumb. Move
your hand slightly leftwards as you do so, perhaps to stretch a finger
towards the '1' key. There. You've done it. Caught the key on its left
just as you tapped the space bar.

Unless it's an Apple, or one of these:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Space-cadet.jpg
the key probably has 'Alt' engraved on it. Now, where's that 'Any Key'
I've heard about...

Cheers,
David.