Re: Aptitude is broken

On 08/08/15 11:16 AM, Joe wrote:
On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:43:49 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

I am running Debian Sid and for the past 4 or 5 days I have had to
switch from using aptitude to upgrade to using apt-get.

This is what I get:

root@frank-debian:/home/frank# aptitude
aptitude: symbol lookup error: aptitude: undefined symbol:
_ZN7cwidget7widgets5pager8set_textERKSsPKc
root@frank-debian:/home/frank#

There are a bunch of packages being held:

    appstream-index aptitude aptitude-common exiv2
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-good libappstream2
libexiv2-dev libpcre16-3 libpcre3 libpcre3-dev
    libpcre32-3 libsigc++-2.0-dev libtagc0 thunar-media-tags-plugin
vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify
    vlc-plugin-samba

I imagine this will eventually be resolved but my question is
this: is there any danger in switching back and forth from
aptitude to apt-get in updating my install.

Not in general, just do an update first before the upgrade. I believe
they use the same database and cache, they just keep different
meta-data. My aptitude on Sid is still OK, by the way, both 32 bit and
64 bit versions, and indeed both aptitude and apt are on my currently
non-upgradeable list. I now have more than 150 packages in that state,
and the upgrade versions of two major packages are terminally buggy on
amd64. Presumably all will be well one day...

  Good

You could try purging and reinstalling that particular version of
aptitude if you're bored, or if apt also breaks. I normally use
aptitude, but am currently using Synaptic to pick out the few
upgradeable packages each day.

  I did purge it..but could not reinstall as apt-get wants some
packages upgraded that for some reason it says are held and broken ???

root@frank-debian:/home/frank# apt-get install aptitude
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 aptitude : Depends: libcwidget3v5 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libsigc++-2.0-0v5 (>= 2.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
root@frank-debian:/home/frank#          ^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that's where it stands.

Thanks

It's not a problem as aptitude didn't run anyway :)
It'll probably be sorted out soon...if not apt-get and apt still work.