Aptitude is broken

I am running Debian Sid and for the past 4 or 5 days I have had to switch from using aptitude to upgrade to using apt-get.

This is what I get:

root@frank-debian:/home/frank# aptitude
aptitude: symbol lookup error: aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZN7cwidget7widgets5pager8set_textERKSsPKc
root@frank-debian:/home/frank#

There are a bunch of packages being held:

  appstream-index aptitude aptitude-common exiv2 gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good libappstream2 libexiv2-dev libpcre16-3 libpcre3 libpcre3-dev libpcre32-3 libsigc++-2.0-dev libtagc0 thunar-media-tags-plugin vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify
  vlc-plugin-samba

I imagine this will eventually be resolved but my question is
this: is there any danger in switching back and forth from
aptitude to apt-get in updating my install.

Thanks