Re: Prevent package from removal

On 08/06/2015 at 02:29 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 06:36:38PM +0200, Floris wrote:
>
>> Thanks, now I know I am not the only one :-)
>>
>> but... Is there a way to make a package un-instable? Or at least give a
>> "Yes, do what I say" warning?
>
> Yeah, you can put a package on hold.
> e.g.
> http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-prevent-a-package-from-being-updated-in-debian.html
> (4th hit on Google)

That does have the downside that it won't let the package be _upgraded_,
either.

As far as I've been able to determine, there is no effective way to say
"when calculating dependency resolution, permit upgrading this package,
but reject any candidate solution which would require uninstalling this
package". There are various approaches which look like they should work,
but in my testing none of them actually do.

--
   The Wanderer