Re: Differences between cdw/k3b on Jessie and Stretch (testing)?

Hi,

i cannot say much about cdw. It may or may not be using my
command line software xorriso or cdrskin. Rather not libburn
directly, if i get http://cdw.sourceforge.net/ right.

K3B on DVD usually uses growisofs as backend. It might be
possible to lure it into using cdrskin as alternative to
cdrecord.

> I have a problem with burning DVD iso-images.
> [...] Burning CD iso-images works flawlessly.

I understand it is about burning to DVD or CD media,
not about the size of the images all burned to DVD.

> The burn finishes without error but the verify stops with
> error: cannot read track 0.

Try to compare DVD content and image file by shell commands.

First set two variables to your actual file addresses. E.g.:

  image="debian-8.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso"
  drive="/dev/sr0"

Find out the size of the ISO image in blocks of 2048 bytes.
The commands

  /sbin/isosize -d 2048 "$image"

or

  expr $(ls -l "$image" | awk '{print $5}') / 2048

with the example image yield 126464 .

Use this number to cut out the ISO image from the start
of the medium content. E.g.:

  dd if="$drive" bs=2048 count=126464 | md5sum

should yield

  1a311f9afb68d6365211b13b4342c40b -

and no error message.
The run of md5sum on the image file

  md5sum "$image"

should yield the same checksum with a different file name

  1a311f9afb68d6365211b13b4342c40b  debian-8.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Of course, any other ISO image and its DVD should yield a
totally different checksum of 32 characters.
If both MD5 checksums match, then all is well.
If not, then the copy on DVD is not trustworthy.

> I cannot figure out against which package to file a bug report.
> It is a hareware problem - it eludes me swiftly ...

Let's see whether verification fails rigtheously or not.

Next you could use a command line program for burning, in the
hope to see error messages without frontend filter.
E.g.

  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z "$drive"="$image"

or

  xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev="$drive" "$image"

Have a nice day :)

Thomas