Re: What pulls in the tray of my /dev/sr1 ?

Hi,

Chris Bannister wrote:
> That sounds like Windoze thinking. I, personaly, would hate the idea
> that the disc tray may automatically retract without notice.
> Doesn't fit in with the Linux/Unix philosophy at all.

Well, the often lamented benevolent desktop helpers
and automats are far from being Unix-like, anyway.

On my previous machine i killed hald-addonstorage for
each of the attached drives. But now that systemd drilled
itself to the roots of the system, i rather try to live
with it and to work around any oddities.

This does not mean i make myself depending on its features.
My silent hope is that some day there will be a Linux for
old people with no surprises and no fancy novelties.

For now Jessie with fvwm2 is as near as i can get to it.
(Main pain is that its kernel shows most miserable performance
 with multiple concurrent burn runs. LG drives can stand the
 decade old IDE master-slave workaround of keeping the drive
 buffer hungry, but my Optiarc cannot.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas