RE: VLAN config on Jessie

Hello Andrew,

> On 03/08/15 14:44, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
>> I have a similar setup but.... the untagged network is the management network for the APs. All traffic on the WiFi network is done in VLANS. That is how I have it setup.
>> So in that case you should have 3 definitions on eth1 (assuming
>> traffic for the clients is using VLAN 10 and 11)
>> auto eth1 eth1.10 eth1.11
>>  iface eth1 inet static
>>    address .....
>>    etc
>> iface eth1.10 inet static
>>    address .....
>>    etc
>> iface eth1.11 inet static
>>    address .....
>>    etc
>
> So eth1 needs its own IP separate from eth1.1 and eth1.2? Can this be on the same subnet as eth1.1 or not?
> eth1 (as opposed to eth1.1 and 1.2) isnt really 'used' so to speak so it would just be a dummy IP.

When you use VLANS essentialy what you are doing is creating different networks. So all should have their own ip address range. If not you get problems when you want to connect them via a router which would then see the same ip range on different networks and would be unable to route.

So in this case one could use (and I hope this time it does NOT reformat)
auto eth1 eth1.10 eth1.11
iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    up /etc/network/if-up.d/iptables
iface eth1.10 inet static
    address 192.168.10.0
    broadcast 192.168.10.255
    netmask 255.255.255.0
iface eth1.11 inet static
    address 192.168.11.0
    broadcast 192.168.11.255
    netmask 255.255.255.0

If you have the option, as in this case, it might make sense to use the same number for the VLAN and for the address range. It does not NEED to be so, and most cases it will not be so. But if it is a simple situation like this, one can take advantage of it.
Remember to set the VLANs correctly on the ports to the Debian router / firewall / dhcp server and on the ports to the WiFi APs. In this case untagged VLAN 1, tagged VLAN 10 and 11.

Bonno Bloksma