Re: sound stopped working after upgrade

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:03:06 -0700
Mike Izbicki <mike@izbicki.me> wrote:

> I *think* the fundamental problem is that /dev/dsp doesn't exist.  For
> example, when I run mplayer, I get the following output:

My sound works and I do not have a /dev/dsp

> Running alsamixer shows a master channel and a capture channel, both
> of which are set to max volume.

Do they show that the channels are unmuted ?

Do you have 1 and only 1 audio "sink" ? If not you may have a problem with pulseaudio not sending audio to the correct sink.

For example I have a set of real-audio speakers and I need :

set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-Audioengine_Audioengine_2_-00-A2.analog-stereo

in my /etc/pulse/default.pa file, or they don't work.

Also check dmesg for any references to audio devices.

Brian