Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Quoting Thomas Schmitt (scdbackup@gmx.net):
> My sunday afternoon endeavor:
>
> xev shows Alt+Space as four separate events:
> Alt down, Space down, Space up, Alt up.
> So it's not X which introduces the unwanted spaceoid.
> od -x shows it as "a0c2". So here the translation has happened
> already. I.e. it is not a matter of readline or bash.

I think that's c2a0 (unfortunately we're little-endian).

> This indicates it is a feature of xterm. Some googling for
> "xterm keyboard mapping" brought me to resource "VT100.Translations"
> in file /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.
> The following line keeps Alt+Space from producing non-whitespace:
>
>   *VT100.Translations: #override Alt<Key>space: string(" ")

Oh gosh, you're bringing back ancient memories of times when you
needed loads of rubbish in .Xresources to get any sense from
xterms. The only vt100 stuff left in there is my default font
definitions. And    grep -i translat /etc/X11/app-defaults/*erm*
yields nothing; all the vt100 stuff is about fonts and colours.

Having originally tried on a laptop running some sort of jessie with a
UK keyboard, I'm now on a US desktop running vanilla wheezy and it's
just the same. For reasons now forgotten, it runs one xfce4-terminal
amongst all the uxterms, and that too behaves the same.

> Well, i would next have to kill all my xterms and replace them
> by new ones ... or find out how to make them reload their
> resources and re-init. Ctrl <Btn2Down>, "Do Full reset" does
> not help.

You could try   xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources
(using other filenames) though I don't remember how much it changes
existing resources.

Anyway, I had a look around at what could possibly influence things
and the best I can come up with is ~/.inputrc and /etc/inputrc.
Various weirdnesses seem to happen if you mess around with things
concerning "meta". For example, setting    set convert-meta on
can make Alt-Space perform backward-word. I haven't tried other
settings (it's not yet Sunday afternoon).

Cheers,
David.