Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Hi,

David Wright wrote:

> I tried Alt-Space and that's enough:
> ls .. ..
> ls: cannot access .. ..: No such file or directory

Yes. I meanwhile found out the same by banging my forehead
to the keyboard. It's an xterm thing.

> so I think you'll have the problem every once in a while.

Not with newly created xterms any more. :))

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> I can't reproduce it.

Did you use the original xterm program ?
(Not gnome-terminal, Konsole, xfce4-terminal, ... )

If so, then i wonder what's the difference between yours
and mine.

My sunday afternoon endeavor:

xev shows Alt+Space as four separate events:
Alt down, Space down, Space up, Alt up.
So it's not X which introduces the unwanted spaceoid.
od -x shows it as "a0c2". So here the translation has happened
already. I.e. it is not a matter of readline or bash.

This indicates it is a feature of xterm. Some googling for
"xterm keyboard mapping" brought me to resource "VT100.Translations"
in file /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.
The following line keeps Alt+Space from producing non-whitespace:

  *VT100.Translations: #override Alt<Key>space: string(" ")

Well, i would next have to kill all my xterms and replace them
by new ones ... or find out how to make them reload their
resources and re-init. Ctrl <Btn2Down>, "Do Full reset" does
not help.

And i still did not find out where the mapping of Alt+Space
is defined on the first hand. I.e. the default for app-defaults.
Currently i am lost in the Xt documentation jungle.
(I see dinosaurs and giant dragonflies ... )

Have a nice day :)

Thomas