RE: VLAN config on Jessie

> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:43:25 +0100
> From: awood@comms.org.uk
>
> Ive got a Jessie machine acting as a router with eth0 being the WAN
> connection to the internet and eth1 being the LAN connection with 2
> VLANS on it (VLAN1 has addresses 192.168.10.x and VLAN2 192.168.100.x)

Your /e/n/interfaces does not match that description...

> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.10.254
> broadcast 192.168.10.255
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> up /etc/network/if-up.d/iptables

This configures an untagged connection, which is not the same as vlan 1.
Also, there's no need to set that broadcast address manually, it's inferred
from the netmask.

> auto eth1.2
> iface eth1.2 inet static
> address 192.168.100.254
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> vlan-raw-device eth1
>

> I want vlan 1 to be the default hence I decared it as eth1 not eth1.1

That is most likely wrong. You set a "default interface" by configuring
the default gateway with the lowest metric. Other than that, there's no
"default" between network interfaces.

> Whats the correct way to do this please?

I would expect you only configure eth1.1 and eth1.2, and leave eth1
itself unconfigured. Or perhaps, if that configuration confuses
ifupdown:

iface eth1 inet manual
  up ip link set eth1 up

Regards,