Re: bash-complete errors

David Wright wrote on 07/27/2015 12:12 AM:
Quoting Dennis Wicks (wix@mgssub.com):
Frequently when I run a command in a terminal window (Debian 8.1
Xfce) I get a bunch of errors.

/bin/bash: _parse_usage: line 16: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/bin/bash: _parse_usage: line 16: ` -?(\[)+([a-zA-Z0-9?]))'
/bin/bash: error importing function definition for `_parse_usage'
/bin/bash: _longopt: line 14: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/bin/bash: _longopt: line 14: ` --+([-a-z0-9_]))'
/bin/bash: error importing function definition for `_longopt'

I have googled these and have not been able to find anything that
tells how to fix the problem. Does anybody have any info on how to
get rid of these?

I googled   _parse_usage   and hit 2 was https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=778282

I know nothing about Xfce or krb5-user, so I can't say whether
this is sufficient to fix your problem, though I am a bit surprised
you didn't turn it up.

Cheers,
David.

I did see that but it sounds like it only works for root shells started with sudo or su. And that is correct. But my problem is with user shell running bash. However, I put the command in my user .bashrc and .profile and when I start a *new* shell, no more errors. It does not work to just run the command
	"bash /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion"
from the command line after the shell is started.

Thanks for the comment. I wouldn't have revisited that bug report otherwise.

TNX!
Dennis