Re: Next Q, re amd64-microcode

On Tuesday 28 July 2015 05:36:22 Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 07:39:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Is there an autoloading routine I know not about that chooses to see
> > if either the intel-microdoe is loaded and applied, or the
> > amd64-microcode is applied?
> >
> > I cannot find a reference to the attempt to load it in the dmesg
> > report on this machine I am building.. Apt-get install says it is
> > already the latest version.  Seems to me there ought to be some
> > treacks in the boot log.
>
> As I understand it, the microcode appropriate to the processor is
> PREpended to the inird image. The kernel will then read that very
> early on and apply it to each CPU as it starts it.
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/early-microcode.txt
>
> You should be able to see microcode being loaded by "dmesg | grep
> microcode". If that returns nothing, then it may simply be that your
> CPU(s) are running the latest available microcode.
>
> > Thanks folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Since the cpu in question is an athlon64 X2, and therefore a bit ancient,
I'd doubt that.  I just looked at the initrd with a hex editor but see
no identifying text that would help to identify what I am looking at.

I'll ask on the emc machine list if there is a way to regenerate the
initrd to include the AuthenticAMD bits.

Thank you.