Re: Pitfalls of german-english dictionaries. Was: What pulls in the tray of my /dev/sr1 ?

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [...]
> Here is a nice spectrum of "beziehungsweise" and its english
> counterparts.
>   http://www.linguee.com/german-english/translation/beziehungsweise.html
> Some "respectively" are among them. Some are quite near to
> my (mislead) use of it.

They seem nearer to you than to me, I think.

I instinctively look for a pair of lists of things to map when I see
"respectively" in these contexts. Hovering the cursor over the
ellipses (sp?) brings up the context, and the two lists were present
in every case I checked.

"In respect of ___" or "respecting" may come close to the meaning in
some cases. Or not.

"... or rather ..." seems to work in the present case, but I notice a
number of places in that list of examples that it would not. ("or
rather" just does not map to "and".)

I think beziehungsweise bears some similarity to the logical
implication operator.

>> This may be one time that Google translate was useful.
>
> It helps from time to time. (But how trustworthy is it,
> given the miserable state of german-english online
> dictionaries ?)

Clues, yes, translations, no.

Linguee looks really useful for studying the deeper semantics of
German. I'll have to check the Japanese and Spanish texts, too. Thanks
for pointing it out.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html