Re: What package contains the time daemon?

On 2015-07-26 10:06:05 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-config-adv.htm
> >
> > See section 6.6.2, Authentication
>
> Vincent Lefevre writes:
> > I don't see how this can work with public NTP servers!

Actually there's another authentication system: Autokey, which is
a public-key authentication:

  https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/autokey.html

but... it is broken!

> If you need authentication you need to use trusted servers.
>
> http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/auth-ntp.cfm

First problem: one needs registration. Major problem: "Each registered
user will be assigned a unique encryption key, which will be linked to
the IP address of the user’s system." This assumes a fixed IP address!

> http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/upload/-Instructions-for-using-the-NIST-authenticated-Network-Time-Protocol-NTP-server.pdf
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome
>
> Look through the list for servers that say that they support
> authentication and follow instructions.

It seems that the authentication system is Autokey, but see above.

> > Even without it, though, sucessfully spoofing all four of the servers
> > you use would be challenging.
>
> > I don't see why this would be difficult for someone who controls the
> > local network (e.g. the wifi hotspot).
>
> If your laptop needs precise time and you are a target for such attacks
> take the time daemon offline when use such unreliable connections.

In general, I don't know when the connection is unreliable. Actually
I can assume that most of the time it may be unreliable. So, this is
not a solution.

I also have a desktop machine that is permanently on an unreliable
network (at least with SLAAC attacks several times per year).

> The attacker would not be able to change your clock very fast, though.
> Unless your laptop needs millisecond accuracy for some reason it's hard
> to see what such an attack would accomplish.

I want to be able to set the time if for some reason the clock is
completely incorrect (this occurred from time to time in the past).

So, I probably need to wait for LibreSSL or a new OpenNTPd version...