Re: What package contains the time daemon?

Vincent Lefevre writes:
> I don't see how this can work with public NTP servers!

If you need authentication you need to use trusted servers.

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/auth-ntp.cfm
http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/upload/-Instructions-for-using-the-NIST-authenticated-Network-Time-Protocol-NTP-server.pdf
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

Look through the list for servers that say that they support
authentication and follow instructions.

> Even without it, though, sucessfully spoofing all four of the servers
> you use would be challenging.

> I don't see why this would be difficult for someone who controls the
> local network (e.g. the wifi hotspot).

If your laptop needs precise time and you are a target for such attacks
take the time daemon offline when use such unreliable connections.

The attacker would not be able to change your clock very fast, though.
Unless your laptop needs millisecond accuracy for some reason it's hard
to see what such an attack would accomplish.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com