Re: Off topic, but has lists.sourceforge.net hung itself for good?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:21 AM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> On 20/07/2015 9:34 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 19 July 2015 19:13:10 Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> http://isup.me/sourceforge.net
>>
>> Is that supposed to tell me the list server is alive?  Clicking on the
>> https link to those lists, gets a msg from iceweasel that the site is
>> broken.  Right now.
>
> Sorry, just if SF is up or not.

Or, more specifically, whether a host mapped to sourceforge.net is up
and reachable from the isup.me host.

If you access the website for a project that hosts its website on
sourceforge (I have a few small ones.), you'll see a maintenance page
that has the blog post link that Chris and Nate posted.

The story is that some hardware failed and the file system started
getting corrupted, it was noticed several days back, and they say they
are trying, carefully, to find valid backups for each project.

I'm sure that blog will point to the latest information.

>>> I think SF have killed themselves, at least in terms of trust; if you
>>> need to source programs / best to always go to the original source
>>> wherever possible as you never know what contaminants SF might add to
>>> the mix if they can get away with it.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> A.
>>
>> Thats what you get when the MBA's take over.  Sigh...
>
> Yeah, maybe .... it's not good though, that's for sure  :(
>
> Cheers
> AndrewM

The blog as much as admits they were trying to skimp on hardware. And
a couple more ironies.

I'm not sure I'd blame it on the current owners of sourceforge,
however. (I'm going to see what I can find out about who owns what,
now.) But it's getting more and more obvious that we, as an industry,
have been doing too much freeloading, been too willing to take
advantage of "free" services instead of doing things ourselves.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html