Re: ip address

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 19:25:45 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting John J. Boyer (john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org):
> > Thanks for all of your answers. The problem was that ifconfig is in sbin
> > not bin.
>
> I think you're better off forgetting about ifconfig and using ip in
> its place; that's the direction things are heading. From Packages:
>
> Package: iproute2
>  The iproute2 suite is a collection of utilities for networking and
>  traffic control.
>  .
>  These tools communicate with the Linux kernel via the (rt)netlink
>  interface, providing advanced features not available through the
>  legacy net-tools commands 'ifconfig' and 'route'.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

the output of ip is a bit of a mess.

  valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

what the hell ? i have no idea what tha means.  i know i'll do man ip, it's probably
got an explanation. no. it doesn't.

ifconfig output is much easier to look at.  too bad that it's defaulted to /sbin because
it would definitely be easier for a noobie to understand.

but that's just my, uh, opinion, man...

Brian