Changing the terminal character set

I'm writing python scripts with the curses GUI and I need the CP437 character set.

How can I change the character encoding in the XFCE terminal [v0.4.8] from UTF-8 to CP437 or IBM437?

Alternatively, I did attempt to change the system locale from en_GB.UTF-8 to one that contained CP437/IBM437. However, no CP437 character sets appeared as an option in 'dpkg-configure locales' command [although 'IBM437 does appear as an available character set in 'locales -m'.]

Changing the system locale from UTF-8 probably isn't a good idea anyway, so it would be ideal if the character set changed was confined to the XFCE terminal for the purposes of the curses python script.

Regards

Alex