Re: ip address

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015, David Wright wrote:

I think you're better off forgetting about ifconfig and using ip in its place;

Ach du Lieber Himmel! You will have to pry ifconfig out of my cold dead fingers!

that's the direction things are heading.

Of course David I am no one to gainsay your typically wise stance on this matter, EXCEPT that other unices (I just checked NetBSD, for example) do not have an "ip" command but retain our old unix friend and companion, ifconfig.

SO, if one's life quest can be fulfilled always sitting at a Linux prompt -- AND NO OTHER UNIX -- then, in the inimitable words of H. L. Mencken:

"You may be right."

:-)

--
I am not a loony.  Why should I be tarred with the epithet
'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut?  I've heard