Re: normalize-audio and video files

Le nonidi 29 messidor, an CCXXIII, Emanuel Berg a écrit :
>     ffmpeg -i $song -i $movie ${name}-norm.$ext

>     local song=$name.mp3
>     ffmpeg -i $movie $song

At both steps, you are transcoding. That means you are paying the MP3 toll
twice, including CPU time and quality loss.

I do not know how normalize-audio operates. It is theoretically possible to
adjust the volume without transcoding, but I suppose this is tricky, and I
do not know if normalize-audio implements it.

If normalize-audio can do it, then using "-c copy" to avoid transcoding is
the correct solution. If it can not, then use a raw PCM format as
intermediate format; the obvious choice is WAVE.

Also, you say that normalize-audio is lightning fast, this is bad sign,
because computing the volume of a clip accurately is expensive.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George