Re: the State of Linux Audio

I read this with great interest because I lost sound some time ago and don't know anything about it, or how to control it.
I'm running Xubuntu 14.04.4, on a brand-new ASUS Z97 Deluxe mobo, with both HDMI monitors and onboard Intel sound chips.  The monitors have no speakers, so the HDMI channel is useless, but there are speakers connected to the mobo and /proc/sound/cards reports them as device 1.  I hadn't heard a peep in ages unless I boot into Windoze, which plays sound just fine.

So I ditched every installed package with "pulse" in the name where doing so did not threaten to remove the world.  I tried an old mp3 file with the command
aplay -D hw:1 -f S16_LE -c 2 -r 48000 longfilename.mp3
and got white noise -- the first peep I've heard in ages under Linux.  It also reported
Playing raw data 'longfilename.mp3' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo

Can I do something to make this sound not white noise?

What should I do next to get sounds to play normally?  I'd be happy just to get system sounds to begin with.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
Le septidi 27 messidor, an CCXXIII, Martin G. McCormick a écrit :
>       The only reason I put pulseaudio on here was way back
> when I was running lenny and had no /dev/dsp. Someone suggested
> installing pulseaudio. I did. /dev/dsp came back and life
> marched on.

This was a bad suggestion.

/dev/dsp is obsolete on Linux, has been for years. Not having is perfectly
normal, having it back is possibly a sign that you are on the path of
breaking things.

In my opinion, PulseAudio is only good for messing things up. The features
it brings are of doubtful usefulness for most users and the brittleness and
complexity it introduces are very real.

My advice is to get rid of PulseAudio as much as possible. You will not be
able to get rid of the libraries if some packages use them, but make sure
you purge the package with the daemon: in the past, just having it was
enough to prevent sound playback from working.

Then use low-level tools. To know if the cards are correctly detected, look
in the file "/proc/asound/cards". To hear if they work, use "aplay -D hw:0"
(or hw:1 for the second card).

If the cards do not appear in /proc, this is a kernel problem and it must be
resolved or there is no point of trying further.

The aplay command I quoted does not do automatic conversions, that is on
purpose. You will need to give it parameters supported natively by the
hardware. With modern cards "-f S16_LE -c 2 -r 48000" does the trick; aplay
will give you hints.

If you do not manage to get sound out of aplay, there is no point in trying
anything else. If you do get sound out of aplay, then sound works.

If anything fails to work and does not print any useful error message, try
looking at the end of the "dmesg" output.

Good luck.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */