Re: Mate desktop - was Re: Still unable to get external monitor wotking on Debian 6 - was Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On Thursday 16 July 2015 17:35:06 Bret Busby wrote:
> On 15/07/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 04/07/2015, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 2015-06-22, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Yes it is.

> >> Yes it does, and a little bit more besides.
> >>
> >> Just try it. It is perfect for those feeling nostalgic for GNOME 2.
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > Okay, well I have now installed mate on the Ubuntu 14.04 and 1.04
> > installations on the Acer V3-772G, as it had occurred to me that I
> > might possibly be able to rename the menu entries to meaningful
> > english-like names.
> >
> > What I found, is that firstly, unlike my experience with gnome(3)
> > classic, I could reposition the panel at the bottom of the screen. I
> > also found that the menu's contain the installed applications links,
> > that I had with the gnome classic menu's (unlike fvwm, which severely
> > restricts the entries in the menu's).
> >
> > I also found, for Ubuntu 12.04 (I did not find it in Ubuntu 14.04, so
> > I do not know whether Ubuntu 14.04 has the functionality), the
> > provision, as with gnome 2, to add the 6 panel system monitor to the
> > panel/taskbar, for ongoing monitoring of the proportionate use of the
> > resources.
> >
> > So, the issue of the application names for mate, being in spanish, is
> > irrelevant, as I have the english-like application names, for the
> > applications from gnome and kde.
> >
> > And, apart from the little Ubuntu icon in the bottom left corner of
> > the panel, the screen looks pretty much like gnome2 running on Debian
> > 6.
> >
> > So, it seems to be working.
>
> Except that I can not find a support mailing list for the mate
> desktop, that would provide users with a means of obtaining help to
> solve problems, of to answer queries, about the mate desktop.

> no list is listed, for users to post messages for seeking help or for
> discussion of the desktop environment.

There is this:
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/
I don't personally like fora, but many people do.

There is also Social media stuff and IRC
http://mate-desktop.org/community/

And hopefully there are some Debian MATE users here who can help.

Lisi