/dev/dsp Obsolete or Not?

	What replaces the standard sound device? I have written
some experimental programs that play and record sound using
/dev/dsp and they work. Obviously, there is a lot of bad design
in the world that works and I hear the discussion that says that
/dev/dsp is out-dated so what is considered the best way to send
and receive audio in a program?

	If there is no /dev/dsp, programs such as mplayer and
the experimental applications I have written will be dead in the
water which is why I am asking these questions now. The
experimental applications I have written are sound-activated
recording and sound delays. In gcc, ioctl is what one uses to
open /dev/dsp with specific characteristics such as sample rate
and size. I hope what replaces it isn't too indirected. There
are times when it is nice to explain what is happening in one
breath. I know that isn't always possible but it is nice when
you can.

Martin McCormick