Re: [jessie] how to use fonts from cm-super-x11 in X?

Quoting D. R. Evans (doc.evans@gmail.com):
> Siard wrote on 07/15/2015 08:00 AM:
> > D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> The description of the package cm-super-x11 says:
> >>   "This package makes the cm-super fonts available to X11. This
> >> package does not contain any fonts itself but allows one to reuse the
> >> cm-super fonts as X11 screen fonts."
> >>
> >> Nice, but how does one actually use these fonts once the package has
> >> been installed?
> >>
> >> I ran xlsfonts, and the output seems no different; in particular, I
> >> see no trace of any cm fonts in the listing.
> >
> > In xlsfonts, these fonts are named 'computer modern'.
> > xlsfonts may need a restart to show them.
>
> I rebooted before I posted, because I know that fonts sometimes need various
> things to be restarted before being recognised, and I thought that a reboot
> was the cleanest way to be certain that everything would be initialised properly.

Restarting X is enough. (I think "restarting xlsfonts" was a slip of
the pen.)

> They still don't appear:
>
> ----
>
> n7dr@shack:~$ xlsfonts | grep comp
> n7dr@shack:~$
>
> ----

They appear just fine here (jessie) so it's tricky to think of what's wrong.

Do you have any other type1 fonts that work ok? If there's a mistake
in the installation scripts, perhaps installing gsfonts/gsfonts-x11
would regularise something.

Do lines like:

(==) FontPath set to:
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,             <-----
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
        built-ins

appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

Just out of interest, what do you intend using these fonts for?
I looked at them with   uxterm -fn <fontname>   but the results were
a bit of a mess: the characterwidths were all wrong (and differed
between user input and system output) and some printed only
uppercase letters. Actually that's true for all the type1 fonts
I have installed apart from xfonts-scalable.

Cheers,
David.