Re: Debian 8 best firewall-gui

On 07/15/2015 12:29 PM, Gábor Hársfalvi wrote:
Dear List!

I'd like to know which is the most workable firewall-gui with Debian 8 -
for using by users with basic knowledge.

Thanks!

I only know of two GUIs for firewall control in the main repositories for Jessie, gufw and fwbuilder.

gufw is really simplistic, and its user interface seems to result in some fairly severe limitations in its ability to create complex rules.

fwbuilder is much more robust, but probably way too much for "users with basic knowledge".

On the other hand, that sort of brings up the question as to why users with "basic knowledge" would be fiddling with firewalls -- especially complex rules, policies, and NAT. I'm guessing gufw is your best bet.

There used to be one called firestarter, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

HTH,
Jape