Re: anyone booting debian with secure boot enabled? And/or from GPT partitions?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:45:25AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> Last I heard, debian was not participating in any of the initiatives
> to get officially microsoft-signed signatures for kernels. I've been
> out of the community for a few months, so I haven't kept up with this,
> but quick searches don't reveal a change in policy.

Not tried it myself, but there is a blog post here[1] showing someone's
method for getting Debian to boot from secure boot.

As I understand secure boot, the spec states that the firmware SHOULD
allow the user to load multiple keys in, so that a microsoft key can be
used to verify Windows and a user-generated key can be used to load
Debian. The problem that the shim (et al) are trying to solve is that
some manufacturers took that "SHOULD" as a "don't really need to", and
their firmware only ships with the microsoft key and no way to load a
second key in. So you either have to provide a boot-loader which can
load Linux and Windows which is signed by that key, or replace the key
and break Windows.

This, at least, was the case with Windows 8. I believe that, when
Windows 10 comes out, microsoft are proposing that certain platforms DO
NOT allow changing of the key. However, for the moment, most people who
have UEFI SHOULD be able to secure boot both Linux and Windows, if
they're willing to do the leg work.

[1] https://burtness.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/secure-boot-with-debian-testing/