Re: New user having trouble with new install

On Saturday 11 July 2015 04:29:23 Jonathan Levine wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm a hardware guy, and not a linux wonk, so I hope you'll all be
> gentle and use words without too many syllables.
>
> I've just completed the "small cd" internet install of the current
> distribution on a small-footprint pc based on the VIA EDEN ESP
> 6000.  I went with all the defaults and it seemed to complete
> uneventfully.  However, on boot it tanks with a "microcode: no
> support for this CPU vendor" error.
>
> What's weird is that this same hardware is previously known to
> have worked with the Debian 3.1 distribution of about ten years
> ago.

Two things which are in general worth trying - and that you may therefore have
tried - checksum checking both the download and the CD.  There might have
been an error downloading or burning.

Wiping and reinstalling.  (But possibly after trying other things?)

What also comes to mind:

Googling.  I am sure you have tried.  I get:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=microcode%3A+no+%3E+support+for+this+CPU+vendor&oq=microcode%3A+no+%3E+support+for+this+CPU+vendor&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.1261j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

But it is mostly Android.  The sixth hit however is:
http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2013/06/microcode-updates-for-cpus-and-other-devices/4116
Is that any use?

Have you tried updating your BIOS firmware?  Or have you checked and found the
firmware you have is the most up-to-date.

And do check for microcode updates, since it is microcode that is mentioned.

If I can think of anything else, I'll say.  But assuming that you want an
up-to-date system, if you get those 13 DVDs you'll still have to update!

Lisi

Lisi