Re: Cron not working

Dan Purgert wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:02:43 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

This may be a FAQ, but it has me stumped. I try to do a weekly backup
with this, but nothing happens, and there is nothing in syslog:

   # crontab -l 0 4 * * 0 /home/haines/scripts/backup

I can run the script manually with # /home/haines/scripts/backup.

Cron daemon is running:

   $ ps -ef | grep cron | grep -v grep root      8972     1  0 12:37 ?
       00:00:00 cron
It's most likely that your script is using some environment variable
that's not (inherently) present to the cron daemon;  or a pathing issue
(e.g. ~/Documents is different to you than it is to the [root] Cron job).

It could also be as simple as a permissions issue.

If your syslog isn't showing anything, you might want to push up your logging level.

Miles Fidelman