Re: Using OpenVPN client with wicd

On 07/07/2015 04:25 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 04:23:28PM -0400, James P. Wallen
wrote:

[...]

If any of you has managed to do this in conjunction with
wicd, I'd really appreciate a pointer to information to
help me get started. The man pages are kicking me in the
boinloins.

FWIW -- I set up OpenVPN (don't like it much[1], but had to)
without either NetworkManager nor wicd. What's the
functionality you expect from those? Automatic route
setting?

- - - - - - - - - [1] What do I do when I have to pierce the
corp firewall? Just use socat on both sides, port 443 (corp
firewalls believe in numbers), TLS encapsulated (don't know
if they do deep packet inspection and don't want to find
out). Yes, some consider me weird.

Hi, Tomas! Thanks for your reply.

No, my issue has nothing to do with corporate firewalls. I'm retired and go to places like libraries and coffee shops and hospitals where I connect to guest networks. I just use the Internet-located VPN to encrypt my connection through the AP and to prevent tracking by the service provider. At home I also use it for the same reasons.

Network-manager, as you're aware, has plugins for various types of VPN software. It's easy to use, but it just seems to be awfully large and, occasionally, a little trouble-prone compared to wicd.

I could generally just use /etc/network/interfaces and associated stuff, but was looking for a fiddle-free way to make my connections when I'm moving around while still enabling me to use OpenVPN.

As I said, just about every write-up on using OpenVPN I can find tells me how to set up the server. Not what I want. All of the write-ups on OpenVPN client I've found tell me a) how to use OpenVPN with network-manager, or b) how to import a setup. Neither of those is of any use to me. I want to see if I can figure out how to use OpenVPN from the CLI or via script using a certificate and password to connect to my favorite VPN out on the Internet.

Again, thank you for your reply.

JP