Using OpenVPN client with wicd

I loved wicd and used it for several years but finally gave up and went with network-manager so that I could easily use a private VPN when I'm out-and-about and connecting to access points on the road.

I've never really been thrilled with network-manager, though at least it works a lot better for me than it did years ago. Any time following a distribution upgrade or doing a new installation I can still count on some unpleasantness with network-manager, but I always manage to get it straightened out eventually.

I've seen a few comments by folks like Bob Proulx concerning their appreciation of wicd, and I'm thinking of dropping the DE I'm currently using and just using a window manager.

Under those circumstances, using wicd seems like a good idea. But I've done a lot of searching on getting OpenVPN to work without finding much that was of use to me.

For one thing, almost all of the how-to docs I can find are explaining how to set up an OpenVPN server on a network at home. Even the man pages seem to be all about that and not about what I want to do. I want to find a way to use the OpenVPN client to connect to a publicly available OpenVPN server.

The servers I use make use of a certificate downloaded to the local machine and a shared secret. I'm already using the servers via network-manager and the OpenVPN client.

If any of you has managed to do this in conjunction with wicd, I'd really appreciate a pointer to information to help me get started. The man pages are kicking me in the boinloins.

Heh.

Thanks,
JP